Tremolessence questions

Moderator: Ryan

Tremolessence questions

Postby solewheelin » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:31 pm

Sup guys.
I just got a V3 Tremolessence in blue w the silver knobs (Thanks to HotRats) for reasons of needing a smaller/better stereo trem than my MM4.
I had a couple of questions.
Running it in stereo. Do you recommend any specific splitter? These hosas look ok:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-Dual-Stereo ... 485831da8f

This looks a bit better though.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6in-1-4-1-4-inc ... 23357f3555

Might someone have a better suggestion than Hosa?

I have also been using a Boss EV-5 expression and it's working fine but behaving strangely with the Tremolessence. Like, not consistent.
Am I using the wrong expression pedal?
I'd actually rather go with something along the lines of this prototype here,

or even this:

I also want to get more creative and learn what other pedals aside from an expression pedal can control the rate/depth expression in.
Can my Moog MF102 do anything for it? Looking forward to incorporating this onto my board. Thanks
Last edited by solewheelin on Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Great deals (here) with - Skip (x2), Brochacho, TheInk'd, rfurtkamp, phantasmagorovich, foomanfat, Helter, hbombgraphics (x3), buyyerown, deucejanisch, jrmy, HotRats, Chuckjaywalk, uberdave, alexsga, ianmarks (Turnipfarm FX), RainbowsAreFree, tsirotinsky, JustinM1789m, zrobertez, jrh60, Casavettes, John, tashiattack, symbolique, aen, chrisdermo, fldrvr, controlFreak
solewheelin

experienced
experienced

Re: Tremolessence questions

Postby Doctor X » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:13 am

i would go with the cable splitter, rather than the solid block one
(and dont forget when going mono in stereo out, to have the mono in 1 click out)
i've used an ev5 with it and not noticed any inconsistency, its not getting the full speed range?
Sold to: dan_abnormal (3 times), Abanoise, Kayzer, Ragged Trousers, Schlatte
Bought from: McSpunckle, RitalinCupcake, Tendollarcat, Brobee, Ryan, cedarskies, behndy
Doctor X

experienced
experienced

Postby goroth » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:11 am

Doc x, stop having the arc flash in your sig! I've already got one, I don't need more, but it's so tempting....
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Doctor X » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:56 pm

heh, you NEED another :drool:
Bought from: McSpunckle, RitalinCupcake, Tendollarcat, Brobee, Ryan, cedarskies, behndy
Doctor X

experienced
experienced

Postby solewheelin » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:25 pm

Doctor X wrote:i would go with the cable splitter, rather than the solid block one
(and dont forget when going mono in stereo out, to have the mono in 1 click out)
i've used an ev5 with it and not noticed any inconsistency, its not getting the full speed range?

Thanks. I'll just order one now but i would like something better than molded plugs.
Yeah my EV5.. It sounds good, but it gets to a very slow rate halfway through the treadle.
It could be the pedal, but i doubt it. Hoping to replace it with something smaller soon anyway.
Thanks
Great deals (here) with - Skip (x2), Brochacho, TheInk'd, rfurtkamp, phantasmagorovich, foomanfat, Helter, hbombgraphics (x3), buyyerown, deucejanisch, jrmy, HotRats, Chuckjaywalk, uberdave, alexsga, ianmarks (Turnipfarm FX), RainbowsAreFree, tsirotinsky, JustinM1789m, zrobertez, jrh60, Casavettes, John, tashiattack, symbolique, aen, chrisdermo, fldrvr, controlFreak
solewheelin

experienced
experienced

Postby Ryan » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:46 pm

I use those Hosa splitters too, they're ok.. I haven't had one fail on me or anything although they're a little finicky about making good connections. I'd say they work fine thoughj.

I like the Moog EP-2, it works well with all my pedals, has a variable resistance range, beefy enough, and 50 bucks.

If you wanted to make your own thingies to use as exp controllers, the best values to use are B10k for the depth and b50k for the rate. You can go lower with the rate and you might find that you get a better sweep.. you could also try A or C pots if you found the rate was bunched up at one end in a way you didn't like, that would space it out.

One really cool product for expression control is the Mission Expressionator, it lets you run 3 pedals at once and you can choose between a resistance or voltage output, it's very powerful.

Basically though, while you're experimenting and learning the systems, you can pretty much plug anything you want in there and see how it works, you won't hurt anything.
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby solewheelin » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:17 pm

Ryan wrote:I use those Hosa splitters too, they're ok.. I haven't had one fail on me or anything although they're a little finicky about making good connections. I'd say they work fine thoughj.

It's to bad they don't offer right angle. I'm going to see what i can do about getting something a little nicer before i buy.
Ryan wrote:I like the Moog EP-2, it works well with all my pedals, has a variable resistance range, beefy enough, and 50 bucks.
If you wanted to make your own thingies to use as exp controllers, the best values to use are B10k for the depth and b50k for the rate. You can go lower with the rate and you might find that you get a better sweep.. you could also try A or C pots if you found the rate was bunched up at one end in a way you didn't like, that would space it out.

Good to know! The EP2 is a monster. And i had the understanding that the EV5, EP2, Line 6 and Maudio exp pedals were all basically the same functionality-wise. Wrong?
I'm really just looking for something small and T1M and Nosepedals are the only 2 companies that i know of.
Ryan wrote:One really cool product for expression control is the Mission Expressionator, it lets you run 3 pedals at once and you can choose between a resistance or voltage output, it's very powerful.
Basically though, while you're experimenting and learning the systems, you can pretty much plug anything you want in there and see how it works, you won't hurt anything.

Cool. Yeah that expressionator looks amazing. maybe one of those would make sense being that i also like to exp my MF102
solewheelin

experienced
experienced

Postby inharmonik » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:00 am

In mono for now since my new sexy tremolessence is going in to my sexy new monotacular Dr. Scientist mini-reverberator but I ended up just making one of these for when I to go to a stereo set up:

I think it might be handy to have a little bit more length. The Hosa was also not a available here and now I have something just as solid w/zip tie and shrink wrap. Should be good. Canare and Neutrik.

I love the tremolessence. A little nervous about gigging with the out one click mono set up. But the feature set and sound are outstanding and I was previously using tremolo in a looper with a momentary switch to punch in and out and now i don't have to do that and can just use the hold feature. & also ramp with an expr. pedal which i use as well. It's as if this pedal was made just for how I use tremolo. I had the empress and the semaphore and had sell when hard times hit. tremolessence hits the sweet spot. You'll dig yours. Can't wait to try it in stereo.

There are also cable folks who will make you one. Like those folks who only do cables. Lava, etc. I am sure theirs will look better than this one.
inharmonik

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Ryan » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:20 pm

solewheelin wrote:Good to know! The EP2 is a monster. And i had the understanding that the EV5, EP2, Line 6 and Maudio exp pedals were all basically the same functionality-wise. Wrong?
I'm really just looking for something small and T1M and Nosepedals are the only 2 companies that i know of.

I don't know either, it's really hard to tell because there's no standardization between expression pedal makers. Some even ground a connection which just blows me away as that's a huge and usually incorrect presumption to make about expression controls. They'll connect outer lugs to each other or to the enclosure, just do things that shouldn't be done as a true expression control needs 3 separate connections, none of which should be assumed to be a ground.

So it's hard to say what pedal will work in what way.. I own about 6 and only really like the Moog one. Making your own little foot pot thing is a great option and I can tell you what parts you need or whip one up for you that would work with my pedals.

inharmonik wrote:I think it might be handy to have a little bit more length. The Hosa was also not a available here and now I have something just as solid w/zip tie and shrink wrap. Should be good. Canare and Neutrik.

I love the tremolessence. A little nervous about gigging with the out one click mono set up. But the feature set and sound are outstanding and I was previously using tremolo in a looper with a momentary switch to punch in and out and now i don't have to do that and can just use the hold feature. & also ramp with an expr. pedal which i use as well. It's as if this pedal was made just for how I use tremolo. I had the empress and the semaphore and had sell when hard times hit. tremolessence hits the sweet spot. You'll dig yours. Can't wait to try it in stereo.

There are also cable folks who will make you one. Like those folks who only do cables. Lava, etc. I am sure theirs will look better than this one.

Welcome to the forum, inharmonik! Is this Kevin? It's gotta be Kevin! Great first post, that's a nice cable job there! Awesome to hear you're digging the Trem too, thank you very much.

I don't think you have to worry about having the input pulled out one click, it's still held in by one click, same as a mono cable.

So for stereo Trem, what do you guys prefer? The panning or syncing?
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby solewheelin » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:58 am

Definitely panning. For me, it's just more interesting and I have my amps set up on my left and right sides anyway.
Although there are times for synced stereo trem, they only happen if I put the tremolessence toward the beginning of my chain, which will be almost never.
That one above does look great. I have jnepo1 making me a custom splitter. Pretty excited to get than so i can get my pan-olessence on.

Regarding the mini expression, I would like to try building one, but what you say is interesting.
I'm curious how yours would be, Ryan?
solewheelin

experienced
experienced

Postby Doctor X » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:53 am

i would be happy to sacrifice the hold feature in order to have that dial space used for a sync degree rotary, for dialing in between in-sync and 180 panning and everything inbetween.
that way i can be plumbed in for stereo and alternate easily

in terms of sound/signal quality the tremolessence is the best i tried

and inharmonik, the 1 click thing is only for mono in > stereo out, mono in/out is just regular full in clicks
Doctor X

experienced
experienced

Postby dantahoua » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:58 am

Doctor X wrote:i would be happy to sacrifice the hold feature in order to have that dial space used for a sync degree rotary, for dialing in between in-sync and 180 panning and everything inbetween.
that way i can be plumbed in for stereo and alternate easily

in terms of sound/signal quality the tremolessence is the best i tried

and inharmonik, the 1 click thing is only for mono in > stereo out, mono in/out is just regular full in clicks

I'm with you on that, would love to be able to dial the phase between the two output, tremendous stereo effect!
dantahoua

interested
interested

Postby Ryan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:51 pm

That's what the shape knob does in stereo, (in essence, get it)... if you think of 0 degrees phase shift as unison and 180 as opposite panning, as you'd change the degree of phase shift you'd pull the direction of the effect in one direction, make it more prominent to one side, until they went fully opposite.. the shape knob at the extremes is doing that pulling of the waveform in one direction, which sounds like the effect is more prominent on one side.
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to Dr. Scientist