Driving through the Rocky Mountains in winter

Moderator: Ryan

Re: Driving through the Rocky Mountains in winter

Postby double_fat » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:14 pm

Ryan wrote:

double_fat wrote:Cosmichorus #52 spent many nights at band practice in a basement in Field!

*falls off chair*

No way! Man that's wild! I'm blown away by that.. you gotta tell us more about life in Field! How's the pizza? If you don't mind, are you there for work? How many people are there? I think Field is maybe the most interesting and unique feeling little town I've ever been too, we both were really taken by it. You still there? And thanks for picking up a Cosmi!
[/quote]

I was living in Lake Louise for work at the ski hill, but we lost our gear storage space there and our drummer and bass player were living in a place in Field with this dirt-floored basement that had been a practice space for a previous ski-hill band, so we moved gear and practice out there. Our first show as that year's incarnation of the band was a fundraiser at the field community center and it was great to see people of all ages out dancing and enjoying the show. Really great people.

I have never lived there, but here's what I have observed and what I have heard from my friends who do: It's a really tiny town, I think less than 500 people. It can be super windy, and it is really dark, especially in winter, it's in such a tight valley that the sun rises from the mountains quite late and sets behind them quite early. While people who have made permanent lives there have made great improvements to their homes, many of the rental houses are really old and are often cold in winter, or expensive to heat with old fuel oil heaters. All that being said, it is obviously quite beautiful, it was a very happy and welcoming practice and dinner place for our band that winter, and if you love to backcountry ski or ice climb, it's a world class place to be. I have never had the pizza there, but I do know Truffle Pigs makes pretty amazing food.

Myself and the Cosmichorus (V3 I forgot to say earlier) now reside in Revelstoke, BC
double_fat

interested
interested

Postby Ryan » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:32 pm

Hyphen Nation wrote:A cool trip, but one you'd need some serious time for…drive west to BC. Take a ferry out to Victoria, and then take that down to the San Juans. That whole Island cluster is ridiculously awesome. Spend a few days there, then head on down to Seattle for a day. Drive down to Portland for a day or two [I think it's a two day city, and there is some serious Dr Scientist love in our music shops/tax write off]. From there head out to the coast and drive down through Cali. Oregon Coast is awesome [Goonies filmed there]. You could get from Portland to the Redwoods in a day, easily, and head on south as far as you felt like going...

This would be such a trip! We've been to Vancouver Island once, we got married there in Tofino in 2009, spent a couple nights in Victoria, we really loved it on the island. I like your trip plan a lot, to me that would be a perfect road trip holiday! I'd wanna keep going south down to Antarctica..

rustywire wrote:Also I'm jealous of that "traffic" and how everything resembles the mental picture I have of Northern NJ, from my old man's stories of growing up in the 1950s.
You lucky bastids can also drink out of streams. In 2014. That's unheard of here. :no:

Thanks for sharing these photos.

Thanks for checking 'em out! Rush hour in the mountains is a little different than in the city hey? *smile* I feel lucky to be around places like the mountains, it's special in there. And yeah, I bet those mountain streams taste incredible! There's a couple glaciers to look at on that drive too, I didn't document them well since it gets cloudy and dark so fast and at the wrong times. Glacier stream drinks...

double_fat wrote:I was living in Lake Louise for work at the ski hill, but we lost our gear storage space there and our drummer and bass player were living in a place in Field with this dirt-floored basement that had been a practice space for a previous ski-hill band, so we moved gear and practice out there. Our first show as that year's incarnation of the band was a fundraiser at the field community center and it was great to see people of all ages out dancing and enjoying the show. Really great people.

I have never lived there, but here's what I have observed and what I have heard from my friends who do: It's a really tiny town, I think less than 500 people. It can be super windy, and it is really dark, especially in winter, it's in such a tight valley that the sun rises from the mountains quite late and sets behind them quite early. While people who have made permanent lives there have made great improvements to their homes, many of the rental houses are really old and are often cold in winter, or expensive to heat with old fuel oil heaters. All that being said, it is obviously quite beautiful, it was a very happy and welcoming practice and dinner place for our band that winter, and if you love to backcountry ski or ice climb, it's a world class place to be. I have never had the pizza there, but I do know Truffle Pigs makes pretty amazing food.

Myself and the Cosmichorus (V3 I forgot to say earlier) now reside in Revelstoke, BC

Really cool, thanks for sharing! You're a real mountain kinda guy hey, I dig that, I could be too I think. Lake Louise must have been an amazing place to live, what a beautiful and cool place in the world that is! I was thinking it must be dark in Field with the mountains so close and looming, that must be kinda cool though.. I just dig the idea of life there! Revelstoke seems like a really nice town too, we've only driven through or stopped for a burger kinda thing, but I love the scenery there, it's beautiful.

Well buddy, I guess you and I are gonna have to make a plan to try that Field pizza one day! *smile*

I just gotta say, it's so cool that you're so familiar with Field and the mountain areas, but then also the fact that you have a Cosmi v3.. geeez that's cool!
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ryan » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:41 pm

double_fat wrote:Myself and the Cosmichorus (V3 I forgot to say earlier) now reside in Revelstoke, BC

Brad! Soon as you mentioned Lake Louise I remembered, sorry for not clueing in earlier!
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby double_fat » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:13 am

Ryan wrote:Really cool, thanks for sharing! You're a real mountain kinda guy hey, I dig that, I could be too I think. Lake Louise must have been an amazing place to live, what a beautiful and cool place in the world that is! I was thinking it must be dark in Field with the mountains so close and looming, that must be kinda cool though.. I just dig the idea of life there! Revelstoke seems like a really nice town too, we've only driven through or stopped for a burger kinda thing, but I love the scenery there, it's beautiful.

Well buddy, I guess you and I are gonna have to make a plan to try that Field pizza one day! *smile*

I just gotta say, it's so cool that you're so familiar with Field and the mountain areas, but then also the fact that you have a Cosmi v3.. geeez that's cool!

Yup, mountains and music get along pretty well when the right people are around! Revelstoke is a really great, friendly town, and there is great pizza here too. The Village Idiot, Nico's and Zalas are all pretty awesome for Zza in different ways. I'd meet you for one anytime.
double_fat

interested
interested

Postby dubhain » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:01 pm

Great pics, Ryan!

I was in Banff at the beginning of February to ski at Sunshine and in Jasper two weeks ago to ski at Marmot. Conditions are excellent at both places! I love the mountains (I'm originally from the little island province on the east coast though).

I've never been to the Okanagan but have always wanted to go and these pictures have only made me want to go more. *sigh* Some day.
Pedalboard Temple T34

Pedals DryBell Vibe Machine > EQD Hoof > SGFX If 6 Was 9 > Wilson Rippah wah > SGFX Custom Shop Buffer > SGFX Super Drive Ltd > SGFX Nitro > Dr Scientist BitQuest! > Dr Scientist Reverberator > Digitech JamMan Solo XT

Amp Laney VC15

Guitar customized Fender Powerhouse Stratocaster, Washburn acoustic
dubhain

interested
interested

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:07 pm

dubhain wrote:
I've never been to the Okanagan but have always wanted to go and these pictures have only made me want to go more. *sigh* Some day.

WOO!!!

ILF field trip to Okanagan. :idea:

... and we will bring circuitry to sacrifice to Ogopogo. :snax:

*Now, where's that lake monster smiley?*
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Ryan » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:21 pm

double_fat wrote:Yup, mountains and music get along pretty well when the right people are around! Revelstoke is a really great, friendly town, and there is great pizza here too. The Village Idiot, Nico's and Zalas are all pretty awesome for Zza in different ways. I'd meet you for one anytime.

Count on it buddy! We're hoping to get back down to the Okanagan in the next month or so and get a house to rent.. on the weekend here, Saturday and Sunday morning, it was -34C.. in OK Falls it was 0...

So you've got a pizza joint called The Village Idiot hey... that's awesome!

dubhain wrote:Great pics, Ryan!

I was in Banff at the beginning of February to ski at Sunshine and in Jasper two weeks ago to ski at Marmot. Conditions are excellent at both places! I love the mountains (I'm originally from the little island province on the east coast though).

Right on, awesome ski trip! So you're from PEI originally? That's a place I'd love to see, show us some pics! *smile*

I think the Okanagan is more focused on water skiiing than snow skiing though... you're gonna love it!

Chankgeez wrote:
dubhain wrote:

WOO!!!

ILF field trip to Okanagan. :idea:

... and we will bring circuitry to sacrifice to Ogopogo. :snax:

*Now, where's that lake monster smiley?*

I like this idea.. we'll drop a pedal into the lake every day until we meet Ogo...
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:52 pm

I'd actually love to do that.

I wish I could go camping by the shores of Lake Okanagan.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Ryan » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 pm

I was thinking house boat.. then you could troll around the lake dropping pedals, using sonar etc..

Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:20 pm

That'd be awesome...

and we could slide headfirst down that slide off the back. :idea:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ryan » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:53 pm

I was thinking we could use the slide to mount him.. ride him all around the Okanagan.. we might need a Beast Master for this quest, I only have dominion over pizza and op amps...
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:42 pm

:idea:

#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dubhain » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:17 pm

ILF field trip sounds great!

Love the house boat idea.

I can post pictures of PEI a little later, Ryan, as I'm posting from my phone right now. I moved to Edmonton 7 years ago for school, got married to an Edmontonian girl, and have been here since. I may be biased but I do recommend you go there for a visit. If you do make a trip to PEI, let me know and I can make some suggestions on places to see and such.
Pedalboard Temple T34

Pedals DryBell Vibe Machine > EQD Hoof > SGFX If 6 Was 9 > Wilson Rippah wah > SGFX Custom Shop Buffer > SGFX Super Drive Ltd > SGFX Nitro > Dr Scientist BitQuest! > Dr Scientist Reverberator > Digitech JamMan Solo XT

Amp Laney VC15

dubhain

interested
interested

Postby Ryan » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:09 pm

Haha Beastmaster! You can watch that on Netflix, totally awesome hey! I watched that and the Conan movies a lot when I was a kid... beefcakes, big swords, beasts.. bitchin'.

That's awesome, Jerrod, that's kinda my story too.. moved to Edmonton from BC about 12 years ago, ended up going to school and meeting and marrying Tanya. Come to Edmonton for a wife, guys, it works!

Do show us some PEI, love to see your pics!
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dubhain » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:17 pm

Some PEI pictures, as promised. Going through my pictures from home, I realized how few pictures I actually take of the Island itself. Hopefully these don't disappoint.
Attachments
PEI11.JPG
PEI11.JPG (40.09 KiB) Viewed 3770 times
PEI10.JPG
PEI10.JPG (48.92 KiB) Viewed 3770 times
PEI6.JPG
PEI6.JPG (37.83 KiB) Viewed 3770 times
PEI1.JPG
PEI1.JPG (34.08 KiB) Viewed 3770 times
PEI11.jpg
From my hometown.
PEI11.jpg (56.73 KiB) Viewed 3770 times
Pedalboard Temple T34

Amp Laney VC15

dubhain

interested
interested

PreviousNext

Return to Dr. Scientist