Let's Ponder: The Ultimate Best 8 Reverb Patch Sounds Ever

Moderator: Ryan

Re: Let's Ponder: The Ultimate Best 8 Reverb Patch Sounds Ev

Postby oldangelmidnight » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:36 pm

I'd love to see something that really uses the stereo capabilities. Something that pans between the outputs and blends in a chorus or vibrato for underwater verb.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby bronzetalon » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:33 pm

I gotta say I really like the ehx grail flange reverb so maybe something like that? Another option that I liked when I had the space was this verb where the tails were linked to the dynamics of the input. So like when you would play normally you get normal reverb tones and if you hit the strings hard that sound would get caught in the infinite verb and you could keep playing softer over it.
bronzetalon

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby hazelwould » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:54 pm

I'd love to hear a reverse/ducking clangy/metallic type of reverb sound. And I love the idea of really deep swell on the verbs. Almost like a trumpet.

Kinda like the SMMH stutter sound but more verby and clangy.

Also, if you could make a hold infinite switch that would be amazing.
hazelwould

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Eric! » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:41 pm

resonance/feedback PLEASE

trails that sound like explosions

awkward delayed decays (maybe the mix on the modulation be on an expression?)

trails that sound like falling stars and gliss like in Kirby games

trails that do zipper-type things

REVERSE

option for a sustain/freeze note, like EHX Freeze

envelope-follower for the rise time?
Eric!

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby bronzetalon » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:00 pm

As far as I know reverse is not possible with the spin. If it was we would have a reverse delay patch on the bitquest.
bronzetalon

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby aen » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:53 pm

On the stereo subject - The Cathedral has been my go to "tweaking" reverb, because of it's massive stereo spread. When I play slowly, the reverberations seem to blossom in alternate channels. Well, not hard panned, but spread out quite a bit. The Reverberator, of course, is my main GET UP AND ROCK reverb, a really critical piece of gear. It's been on all my pedal boards since the day I got it!
Chankgeez wrote:
DWARFCRAFT: We are not fucking around this year.
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby backwardsvoyager » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:40 pm

Eric! wrote:trails that sound like explosions

:!!!:

10/10 would buy
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:09 pm

Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Eric! » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:40 am

Eric!

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby 01010111 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:32 am

backwardsvoyager wrote:
Eric! wrote:trails that sound like explosions

:!!!:

10/10 would buy

Totally! :!!!:

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby greyscales » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:37 pm

As long as it has a spring and some sort of octave/gliss reverb I'm going to be very interested.
greyscales

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Shish » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:34 am

bronzetalon wrote:Another option that I liked when I had the space was this verb where the tails were linked to the dynamics of the input. So like when you would play normally you get normal reverb tones and if you hit the strings hard that sound would get caught in the infinite verb and you could keep playing softer over it.

This!
Shish

committed
committed

Postby Bartimaeus » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:15 am

greyscales wrote:As long as it has a spring and some sort of octave/gliss reverb I'm going to be very interested.

OOH a gliss on the octave verb would be really great! On full wet it could work as a weird synth emulator :O Also, maybe modulation on the shimmer? (is that a normal thing because if not it sounds pretty cool).

That dynamic verb idea is really nice as well!
Bartimaeus

experienced
experienced

Postby Ryan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:43 am

Thanks for all the great thoughts, guys, there's flippin tons in here and they're awesome! Lots of ideas to ponder.. I'll go through 'em all...

hollowhero wrote:It would be awesome if you could select the pitch shifting interval on the octave/shimmer patch (from 1 octave down to 1 octave up in half step intervals)

A lo-fi reverb mode would be cool too...maybe with some bit crushing/ring mod affecting the wet signal

Totally awesome ideas, thank you! I love the idea of being able to tune the pitch of the reverb so it could be octaves or detuned in a weird way, I think that would sound wild. I love the idea of bitcrushed reverb too, that's perfect, I'll be experimenting with that bigtime.

skullservant wrote:This is awesome Ryan. I think this would be great competition for other reverbs.

Would it be possible to have a floating parameter knob for each mode like on the BitQuest? Again not sure but these are my initial thoughts about each mode and something you could do to them.

Hall-

Room- I always use room reverbs for mic'd cab type sounds when I DI. Don't have much to add to this one other than if you could get it to do mic'd cab type super close reverbs that'd be cool.

Plate- Would be neat if this had like a regen or dwell knob to it, for subtle oscillation

Spring- It would be awesome if on Spring mode you could have a knob control saturation on the 'tank' to overdrive it a bit. My favorite sound EVER but not sure if it's possible to code for you. Could you have one of the knobs turn into 'gain' for that mode?

Gated- Would be cool if you could dial in normal gated reverb for stuff like drums, but then also have it so the parameters could go completely over the top with their gating as well

Modulated- Would be cool if you could code a knob to go from chorus to vibrato, but I guess really it would just be a speed knob

Octave- This would be awesome! I don't really have anything to add to this, will be cool to have octave down reverb

Unusual- Not sure if it's been brought up (probably has been) but if you could do a reverse reverb that would be cool! Not sure if anyone has come up with a modifiable code for it or not.

I also like on the Reverberator that you thought outside the box enough to have that Leslie emulator. Something that no one would even ever think of to include. If you did that with this that would be equally as awesome. Just something that no one would think of, like ping ponging reverb, or an oscillating reverb, something quirky but totally useful.

You give me too much credit, Evan! The Reverberator uses a trio of chips made by Wavefront Semiconductor.. all I had to do was buffer in and out and they took care of the rest with the great sounding patches. So now it's my turn to make some reverb patches!

I like the drive idea for the spring patch and I'm gonna mess with gated sounds too... and reverse... more on that later...

lonelytourist wrote:A Mangled Verb-esque distortion verb combo would be awesome for the eighth slot.

The BitQuest has a great reverb and distortion patch, does infinite decay, fully wet, I dig fuzzy verb a lot!

Bellyheart wrote:I am excited. If it's gonna be true stereo I think the unspoken parameter should really flex on that.

The lofi verb sounds cool as well. I like the gated effect but when I briefly had a holier grail the feature was hard to really operate unless I had a compressor in front.

Maybe some kind of slow attack reverb with long tails. Kind of a Doppler effect. Maybe that overlays with the modulated.

You could set rise and fall.

I like that you inquire so much about new ideas with this community.

Thanks Jon! You bet your butt it's gonna be true stereo, two signals go in, two signals come out, and I totally agree that stereo will be an important aspect, not a second-thought kinda thing. I'll try to make all the patches dynamic in stereo, moving between the amps, different in the amps, definitely want to accentuate the stereoness.

sonidero"Awesome... If it's stereo you should do some weird panning crushed reverse reverb or something, take advantage of the stereo to do what reverb shouldn't do... :joy:[/quote]

I like that idea too.. do things that reverb shouldn't do.. in stereo..

[quote="sylnau wrote:
-reverse reverb
-reverb with some kind of flange to it
-crackle dirty reverb
-octave down reverb (why not)
-robot reverb
-room reverb
-plate reverb
-stutter reverb

Nice Syl! I like that flanger verb idea a lot too.. I'm liking flangers a lot lately... frig EHX knew what was up way back in the day with flerb! Octave down is a perfect idea too... scary sound.. like how Alien or Aliens starts out with the movie music intro, the trumpets, and then at the end it goes all sour and scary.. I've loved that sound for decades..

backwardsvoyager wrote:YES! I was gonna suggest a reverse patch and a FLANGEVERB patch. With controls for speed and resonance.

Seriously, how cool would flangeverb be?

Flangeverb it shall be and it's gonna be extra cool!

Bartimaeus wrote:For the modulated verb, it'd be cool to have two choruses at different speeds or something (although maybe that's already how it's done?). It could sound a lot richer than just a standard chorus.
Something like a flange or phase verb would be v v cool, since there's basically nothing like them on the market currently.
A reverse reverb would be v cool as well, or even one with a few type of shapes.
Also, ability to oscillate weirdly on many of them would push it further into unusual territory!

And "hold for infinite" would be cool if feasible with the Spin!

This idea of making two pedals with the Spin chip reminded of Neunaber pedals. One can download any of their pedals into a unit that one has, but only using one pedal at a time. What about trying something like this with the BitQuest, perhaps even mixing up a set of different types of patches? Perhaps it's just too all over the place and tedious, but I do like the idea of reverb and distortion being different Quests or something. Though it also may not make sense from a marketing perspective.

Great thoughts, thanks David! I'm wondering how best to implement more than one Spin based pedal.. I definitely don't want to make lots of pedals, just the perfect number of a few pedals, but some of them would need to be set up a little differently depending on what they'll be doing, like delay or high gain. So I think I'll keep the BitQuest with the focus of high gain adventure and then make a fully decked out stereo Spin platform that could possibly work for delay, reverb, modulation. And maybe only make those two... and you could choose what quest it was, reverb or delay, or mix and match patches to have your favourite 8, or have a couple different memory chips that you swap sometimes. I also think BitQuest patches could become decked out stereo pedal patches and vice versa, that could be cool for sure.

Atrox wrote:Whoa, I'm in for a flangeverb! You guys have the best ideas!

I'd wanta very spacious reverb like the WET, then the short plate 1 from the mini RRR, and a cool spring. Maybe some shimmer and the FLANGEVERBERATOR :!!!:

This sounds good to me too!
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ryan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:04 pm

Ponderings continued!

rustywire wrote:Oil can, a la Fender Echo Reverb

I'll look into this, I don't know what this sounds like!

wfs1234 wrote:I think this is awesome! Totally knew you were gonna revamp the RRR one day :joy:

For the modulated verb some kind of vibrato that effected only the first instant of the reverb as opposed to shifting/modulating the entire ocean of verb would be pretty effin' sweet (kinda like when you take a stick out of the fire and make shapes with the smoke that drift away, except with sound). Also it would be cool if you could control the rate, the width of the vibrato so you can go anywhere from a light chorus to sea-sickness

Totally agree that the pitch-verb should be adjustable in small increments for those of us that want some out of tune shimmers.

For the weird verb how about a bit crushed verb with a tone control? The trails would degrade into a digital soup, and using the tone control that soup can be as dark and murky or squelchy as you want :idk:

I think powerful control over a modulated reverb would be awesome too, I'll be able to have 3 controls for it so I'll be able to take it to weird places for sure.

I'm digging the bitcrushed verb a lot... I think that'll be one of the first patches I work on, really cool idea.

tomlane95 wrote:All of this (Syl's list) sounds so cool
I think, be ause the RRR already exists, that this could be a platform for entirely unorthodox reverb sounds
:idk:

Syl came up with a gooder there, nailed it in one! I think you're right, Tom, this pedal should be in the spirit of adventure and new sounds.. I think I'll only do one 'normal' patch on it, like one nice sounding normal hall, just so I can finally make a reverb pedal with a decay knob!... and then the other 7 patches will be freakout city, no squares allowed.

oldangelmidnight wrote:I'd love to see something that really uses the stereo capabilities. Something that pans between the outputs and blends in a chorus or vibrato for underwater verb.

I agree bigtime and I promise the stereoness won't just be tacked on, it'll be a proper cool quality of the pedal and worth experiencing. on weed.

bronzetalon wrote:I gotta say I really like the ehx grail flange reverb so maybe something like that? Another option that I liked when I had the space was this verb where the tails were linked to the dynamics of the input. So like when you would play normally you get normal reverb tones and if you hit the strings hard that sound would get caught in the infinite verb and you could keep playing softer over it.

I'll do a flerb for sure, love that idea. I love the idea of using input dynamics to control effects and that's something very doable with the Spin so I'll work on that for sure too. Also Ian, stay tuned for some reverse reverb news...

hazelwould wrote:I'd love to hear a reverse/ducking clangy/metallic type of reverb sound. And I love the idea of really deep swell on the verbs. Almost like a trumpet.

Kinda like the SMMH stutter sound but more verby and clangy.

Also, if you could make a hold infinite switch that would be amazing.

I like clangy metallic sounds too, that's a great reverb patch idea! I doubt this will have a second footswitch though, I'm hoping to do it in the Elements style box. I'll be making all the patches have really long decay, maybe even to the point of oscillating, so an expression pedal plugged in could be an infinite switch..

bronzetalon wrote:As far as I know reverse is not possible with the spin. If it was we would have a reverse delay patch on the bitquest.

I looked into this way more and have found the distributor saying yes, the Spin can do it, but more than this somebody actually posted some reverse reverb code made by Malekko on the Spin forum! I'm gonna check it out and check with them about it, could be something I could add to the mix here. It's really complicated code, really tough math and a deep understanding of the chip required.. way over my head at the moment.

aen wrote:On the stereo subject - The Cathedral has been my go to "tweaking" reverb, because of it's massive stereo spread. When I play slowly, the reverberations seem to blossom in alternate channels. Well, not hard panned, but spread out quite a bit. The Reverberator, of course, is my main GET UP AND ROCK reverb, a really critical piece of gear. It's been on all my pedal boards since the day I got it!

Stereo rules hey buddy! I'm gonna play on that stereo separation a lot, maybe have different things happening left and right at different times, make it a real treat for stereo ears.

greyscales wrote:As long as it has a spring and some sort of octave/gliss reverb I'm going to be very interested.

Me too! I'll model it after the ol' Super Reverb hey! (I saw in the SF reissue thread how you dig Super Reverbs, me too!) Spring and octave will be top priorities for sure.

Bartimaeus wrote:OOH a gliss on the octave verb would be really great! On full wet it could work as a weird synth emulator :O Also, maybe modulation on the shimmer? (is that a normal thing because if not it sounds pretty cool).

That dynamic verb idea is really nice as well!

Gliss is a cool idea for sure.. modulated shimmer, cool idea for sure too! I'll do something with input dynamics for sure too, that's a great idea and has a lot of possibilities for coolness/weirdness...

Thanks again for all the thoughts guys, I appreciate the time and brilliant ideas!
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Dr. Scientist