· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

pedals fished from the shores of lake okanagan and flash frozen for freshness <drscientist.ca> <FB> <IG>
Post a reply

Re: Let's Ponder: The Ultimate Best 8 Reverb Patch Sounds Ev

Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:44 pm

backwardsvoyager wrote:
sylnau wrote:-reverse reverb
-reverb with some kind of flange to it

YES! I was gonna suggest a reverse patch and a FLANGEVERB patch. With controls for speed and resonance.

Seriously, how cool would flangeverb be?

As long as its better than EHX's flerb.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:07 pm

Holy Schnikes wrote:
backwardsvoyager wrote:
sylnau wrote:-reverse reverb
-reverb with some kind of flange to it

YES! I was gonna suggest a reverse patch and a FLANGEVERB patch. With controls for speed and resonance.

Seriously, how cool would flangeverb be?

As long as its better than EHX's flerb.

for somebody like Ryan that will not be difficult :lol:

the fact that they called it 'flerb' when they could have called it FLANGEVERB just tells you it's going to blow anyway

Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:08 pm

Flerb is fun for sounding like you're banging down the length of a metal tube.

But the perfect spring reverb is all I ask. Traditional at the tamest and raining nickels on a metal trampoline at the best. Plop plink.

Doubled controls a la that oohlala delay would be super cool too. You know, two footswitches to swap between knob settings. Just cuz.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:09 pm

Thanks for the thoughts guys!

Lots of these ideas are.... in the realm of the impossible.. like I can't invent or create from scratch any kind of sound or control.. it doesn't exactly work like that.. but keep it all coming, it's all worth a ponder!

I'm gonna own flangeverb for sure.. can't wait to get cracking on that one... I think flerb is a pretty good name too though ha!

I'm gonna try hard at spring.. that's an important one to me..

Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:47 am

I quite like the term "revange" (like revenge) as it sounds more sinister than "flerb" and I always thought a wierd tunnel-y sounding deep flanged long reverb was a sinister wierd effect

Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:29 pm

I like that too haha! I love the idea of a sinister reverb pedal.. scary reverb sounds are the best for sure... I hope to terrify myself with these reverb patches..

Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:33 am

As a habitual Kevin Shields fanboy I like non-linear and early reflections reverbs most.

Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:19 pm

Maybe it doesn't sound good, and that's why it's never done, but I still feel like a sort of subtle, slow phaser on a reverb could be really really nice sounding. It would be much less in your face than a flanger, but adding some really nice movement and color to the verb. But of course it could also do some crazy stuff at fast speeds and high depth.

Then again, flanger reverb sounds sort of like a very cool reverb chorus, so they're not mutually exclusive. I just really want phase on my verb :drool:

And I think for either flange or phase, having control over those effects, just just the reverb, is important to making it sound good. I think that that is one of the shortcomings of the EHX Flerb.

Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:23 am

Ryan wrote:Ponderings continued!

rustywire wrote:Oil can, a la Fender Echo Reverb

I'll look into this, I don't know what this sounds like!

I suppose it's technically a delay, but the setting I'm suggesting is perhaps better described as a nonlinear modulated reverb, with distorted repeats creating the modulation.

There's a lot of bleed in the sound, like a tape echo or Echorec...but due to the medium it sounds much more lofi verby (to me) especially the units with "doubler" mode.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:07 pm

Very interesting sound, I like it!

I think having control over the effect parameters is really important too and it's an unfortunate limitation of the Spin that there's only 3 controls possible. So for a revange patch you'd need decay time, flanger rate, and maybe flanger level.. and then the analog controls for mix and bass/treble and volume..so with the 3 digital controls and the 4 analog controls it should be pretty powerful.

I'm kinda thinking this thread should have been about the 8 best delay patches though.. I think maybe it'll be delay time before reverb time..

Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:26 pm

Ryan wrote:delay time before reverb time..

:!!!:

Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:33 pm

I try to stay away from here due to the sheer awesomeness of the thread but those vids made me think of this Morley I used to love...

Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:12 pm

Very cool! Had one and sold it?

Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:08 am

If I could have a pedalboard friendly version of the five bloom verbs on the Midiverb II, I'd lose my shit.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:14 pm

Eight delays hmmm let's see.

-Some standard clean pristine digital delay, with introducible modulation.
-Tape delay? For crazy oscillation fun.
-Filtered delay. Perhaps with both the high and lowpass filters? Lowpass could be used to emulate analog delays, but the added highpass would open up lots of options.
-Pattern or something of the type?
-Lofi/Bitcrushed.
-Pitchdelay. (shimmer I guess?) But perhaps where the pitch can be controlled via a foot controller or can be heavily modulated.
-Swell. I don't really use this but a lot of people seem to.
-Random or not random stutter delay, à la hold function on Boss pedals or Jonny G's infamous Max/MSP patch at the end of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53MaNyo-BkI
Post a reply