Let's Ponder: The Ultimate Best 8 Reverb Patch Sounds Ever

Moderator: Ryan

Re: Let's Ponder: The Ultimate Best 8 Reverb Patch Sounds Ev

Postby Sam-2XD » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:25 am

Ryan wrote:Very interesting sound, I like it!

I think having control over the effect parameters is really important too and it's an unfortunate limitation of the Spin that there's only 3 controls possible. So for a revange patch you'd need decay time, flanger rate, and maybe flanger level.. and then the analog controls for mix and bass/treble and volume..so with the 3 digital controls and the 4 analog controls it should be pretty powerful.

I'm kinda thinking this thread should have been about the 8 best delay patches though.. I think maybe it'll be delay time before reverb time..

Why not both?

1. Tape
2. Pristine Digital
3. Sunny Day

4. Hall
5. Spring
6. Revange

then a couple combos

7. Stargaze - Hall / Tape for infinitely huge shoegaze (controls for feedback, random delay something, and amount of reverb)

8. Some other awesome combo, like Maybe an expression controlled sweep thats calibrated to go from reverb all the way to delay.
Sam-2XD

interested
interested

Postby Ryan » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:00 am

theavondon wrote:If I could have a pedalboard friendly version of the five bloom verbs on the Midiverb II, I'd lose my shit.

I don't know this sound, Donny, I'll try to find a sample and see what it does and if I'm smart enough to do it...

Bartimaeus wrote:Eight delays hmmm let's see.

-Some standard clean pristine digital delay, with introducible modulation.
-Tape delay? For crazy oscillation fun.
-Filtered delay. Perhaps with both the high and lowpass filters? Lowpass could be used to emulate analog delays, but the added highpass would open up lots of options.
-Pattern or something of the type?
-Lofi/Bitcrushed.
-Pitchdelay. (shimmer I guess?) But perhaps where the pitch can be controlled via a foot controller or can be heavily modulated.
-Swell. I don't really use this but a lot of people seem to.
-Random or not random stutter delay, à la hold function on Boss pedals or Jonny G's infamous Max/MSP patch at the end of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53MaNyo-BkI

I like all these too, lots of great ideas there.. I'll basically set myself up a good versatile delay code and then start experimenting with all this kinda stuff, love it all.

Sam-2XD wrote:Why not both?

1. Tape
2. Pristine Digital
3. Sunny Day

4. Hall
5. Spring
6. Revange

then a couple combos

7. Stargaze - Hall / Tape for infinitely huge shoegaze (controls for feedback, random delay something, and amount of reverb)

8. Some other awesome combo, like Maybe an expression controlled sweep thats calibrated to go from reverb all the way to delay.

Why not both is a good question.. I think what'll eventually happen is that I'll have lots of reverb and delay patches and people in the know can ask for a mix if they want. I also think though that I'm gonna follow in the footsteps of all the other companies that make digital pedals and not mix them up.. they keep 'em separated. A delay pedal, a reverb pedal, a modulation pedal, a pitch pedal.. you notice how all digital companies keep them separated even though they have the exact same control layouts and the exact same hardware inside.. it's a choice to build and develop more of a product line and I'm pondering how best to do that too.

I don't want to make a million pedals in my line, it's best as a one-man shop to stay a little streamlined I think, so I doubt I'll keep 'em that separated, but I do want to have separate delay and reverb pedals as those are both very big sellers and it behooves a company to have both available. I'm gonna be a lil different since I'm not as formal or strict as some of those big digital companies, so yeah, you guys can probably get a mixed memory chip off me some day if you want..
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Sam-2XD » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:46 pm

Ryan, your pedals are awesome. As soon as I posted I realized that it didn't make much business sense. Thanks for the reply.

I'd still love to hear your take on huge ambient wash. Also, for delay, is tap tempo an option?
Sam-2XD

interested
interested

Postby theavondon » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:52 pm

I'm tempted to send mine to you so you can try it out.
theavondon

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ryan » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:14 pm

Thanks Sam!

There actually is code for tap tempo with the Spin chips but it has such serious compromises that I won't be using it. First, it requires a control input, and there's only 3, so instead of having a third control knob, you have to lose it for tap tempo. Second, the tap code with a simple delay nearly fills the entire 128 instructions leaving no room for anything else...

So those limitations are so much that I think we'll just say no tap tempo and then we can focus on making interesting delay sounds that you'll have to beat-match yourself like in the old days. *smile*

Donny, drive it up next weekend, you needed a winter road trip right?
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby theavondon » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:27 am

Mother of god, I do.
theavondon

Supporter
Supporter

Postby oldangelmidnight » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:10 am

Can two Spin chips be linked together somehow? The 128 line limit seems kind of... limiting.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Bartimaeus » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:53 am

oldangelmidnight wrote:Can two Spin chips be linked together somehow? The 128 line limit seems kind of... limiting.

That's an interesting idea. You could probably have on chip slaved for tap tempo and the speed knob, and just have its output somehow control those values on the other spin. Then you'd have an extra control for every delay. But that doesn't really seem economical. I don't really care about tap tempo tbh, though a preset switch could be very nice to have.
Bartimaeus

experienced
experienced

Postby Ryan » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:05 pm

Bartimaeus wrote:
oldangelmidnight wrote:Can two Spin chips be linked together somehow? The 128 line limit seems kind of... limiting.

That's an interesting idea. You could probably have on chip slaved for tap tempo and the speed knob, and just have its output somehow control those values on the other spin. Then you'd have an extra control for every delay. But that doesn't really seem economical. I don't really care about tap tempo tbh, though a preset switch could be very nice to have.

Nope, it doesn't work like this at all.. neat idea though.

Each Spin chip is an autonomous unit for mid-mall snacking.. I mean an autonomous unit for digital signal processing, a world unto itself with no taking in of other info or sending out other info, only their audio outputs can be passed onto another chip for more processing, like an analog processor.

On one hand 128 instructions is a limitation but really, you can make every single effect under the sun with that many lines of code.. anything. You just can't add this to that to the other and make them all do this and that and the other... you gotta pick your Spin battles!
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Bartimaeus » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:05 am

Hmmmm. What if you set one spin chip to track tempo, and use that to output a pulse LFO going to input two of the main chip. You could even apply some sort of highpass filter before the input to cut an subaudible frequencies from the main instrument signal, so that you wouldn't need to lose stereo ins. Then instead of a something to track tap tempo, you'd need something to track the LFO and turn it into something usable to control rate. Probably not doing as interpreting the pulses may be complicated.

All this stuff has me wanting that Spin Dev kit more and more! I'll probably get one eventually, though I really have my hands full trying to understand Max at all.
Bartimaeus

experienced
experienced

Postby Ryan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:44 pm

This has come up in the Spin forum too and the Spin isn't able to do this for several reasons.. one, it can't take in a DC signal so you have to come up with a different scheme of AC coupling a voltage and then converting it's amplitude to the control value, gonna be a pain. Second, the filtering required to remove that control signal thump/tick from the audio would be extreme, requiring the rest of your code. All that's moot though since it has internal highpass filters that prevent low freqs below 20Hz and that's at maximum 48k resolution, less resolution (I use 32k), less low freq response.

There's a reason that in almost 10 years you don't see any tap tempo Spin delays other than the most basic delay possible.. and I can't even think of one like that anyway, maybe there's none... the hardware and the software aren't suited to it.
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Bartimaeus » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:21 pm

Wow, ok. I probably should've realized that there was a reason for it being so hard to do tap tempo, haha >.< Ryan, you really know your stuff!
Bartimaeus

experienced
experienced

Postby Ryan » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:58 pm

Sucks though hey, I thought the Spin could take in the tap input without losing the control input, so it was disappointing to learn that. It sucks to know more about why something can't be done than how it could be done...
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Previous

Return to Dr. Scientist