Video game thread. Huzzah!

Moderator: Ryan

Video game thread. Huzzah!

Postby t-rey » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:53 pm

According to my browsing on the b/s/t section it looks like Ryan has a PS3 on the way. Which means that I have a reasonable excuse to create a thread devoted to video games and amazing dorkiness of all sorts.

So. Talk about what games your are playing. Talk about consoles. Talk about your favorite games of all time. Talk about how much better games used to be back in the day. Tell kids to get off your lawn.

:!!!:

I'm currently playing Kingdoms of Amalur, which is all sorts of fun once it builds up a little steam and/or you get more powerful.

Some PS3 recommendations for Ryan:
- the entire Uncharted Series
- God of War series
- Metal Gear Solid series
- Little Big Planet
- Skyrim
- Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City
- Fallout 3
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Video game thread. Huzzah!

Postby space6oy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:34 pm

i'm a 360er but the elder scrolls, fallout, hitman and assassin's creed series are my favorites. skyrim has been eating me since the day it was released and is still at it. damn near daily. it's disgusting.
:omg:

also going to pick up dishonored, that one looks amazing...
space6oy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby t-rey » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:48 pm

Haven't heard of Dishonored - I'll have to give that a google. Not sure how much time I put into Skyrim, but probably close to 100 hours so far without completing all the guild quests, daedric quests, or the dlc. I really love the Bethesda rpgs - they never feel like a chore. They are probably pure evil simply based on how easily they can steal entire days from (somewhat) sane people.

I'm primarily a 360 player as well. Not really sure why, but I usually only play exclusives on PS3.

I really dig the Assassin's Creed series as well. The first game drug a bit, but the other ones are sooooo good. Can't wait for the last game!
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby space6oy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:35 pm

yeah, first AC got a 6/10 in my book. every episode after that has been incredible though.
space6oy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Officer Bukowski » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:57 pm

I like video games with cute stuff where you jump around, so Little Big Planet is my jam. Plus the music is awesome.

I'm all about the N64 though. Goldeneye, Mariokart, Starfox 64, Super Mario 64, Mario Party.. Those are my favorites.
I make pedals. SHARK TANK
Officer Bukowski

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby CBA » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:59 pm

I'm planning on buying a PS3, as I'm redoing my audio/video setup to be a bit simpler. I've only ever owned Nintendo systems, so this will be a fun new experience.

List of games I'm going to get:

-Bioshock 1, 2 & 3 (eventually)
-Red Dead Redemption
-all the Uncharteds
-Resident Evil 5 & 6
-Shadow Of The Colossus HD
-GTA V (eventually)

I forget what else.

What else?

C
CBA

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby skullservant » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:13 pm

FUCKING BEAUTIFUL KATAMARI FOR 360. SERIOUSLY.

I'm also a fan of racing games. I have absolutely no clue why.
Forza Motorsports is my alltime favorite racing game.
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Helter » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:21 pm

Anything with swords makes my boner bonerize.
Live your life like a tree.
spacelordmother wrote:Didn't hate it
Incoming
True pedge
Helter

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Raintes » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:04 pm

Been playing Arkham Asylum.. I'm still having a tough time controlling Batman. It's basically a hack n slash attack for me at the moment. I want good ol' Batman to move like he should.

*scratches head*

maybe I'm just too slow. :lol:
Buy / Sell / Trade peeps - (HC): Zemmy, Jules-RM, TheMercyRule, Samuelch, atrox, unicornwarrior, jacobhf, KingdomGuitar, ispunk, hey_day, Offthiscentury, sublimeride / (ILF): RYAN (Dr. Scientist), bronzetalon (x2), Horatio, oldskool, bettsdn, bobcunningham, Hot Sleeper, bob the r0bot, Chaosmic, Grrface (TGP) weshunter, digdown2001, JPetty, Nelsdvn, barney steele, ylaux, JohnK24, Tone Meister, ddhabird, Braciola, ylaux, barney steele
Raintes

committed
committed

Postby Ryan » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:50 pm

Awesome, Trey, we needed this thread!

I've been into video games pretty much forever, nearly all my life, but for the last 10 years I haven't done any gaming at all, not once I got into electronics and building pedals, and especially with the business.. I just feel like I should always do something else with a spare hour.. so I've been getting all my gaming fixes from watching Let's Plays on Youtube... pretty awesome, I love them!

Since last fall I've watched about a dozen LPs of Dark Souls... just can't get enough of the game. It's the perfect dungeon crawl experience in my opinion, the perfect D&D style RPG, swords and magic done exactly right for me. And last week they released it on the PC with some new content, so new LPs to watch, and it struck me the other night... I gotta play this flippin game for myself!

So thanks to Helter I've got a PS3 coming and I'm gonna play Dark Souls. I probably won't play any other games although I'm familiar with every one listed here so far and they're amazingly cool games. Games of this day and age are mind-blowingly cool, I can't get over the graphics and power and depth and complexity and just everything about these big games is just so cool. The Uncharted series is a great example... you can watch all three games as movies with just the bare minimum of fighting, totally focused on game play and plot, and they're each 3 hours long and really fun and interesting.

I love RPG and dungeon crawl style games the most and there's another really really good one that came out recently, besides Skyrim. Skyrim is also one of the most amazing RPGs I've ever seen. I'm talking about Legend of Grimrock though... old school tile based, left, right, forward, back, D&D style dungeon crawl... totally awesome.
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby space6oy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:57 pm

heh, grimrock vs. grimlock. :lol:

bioshock is another batch i've loved. dead space, first one was awesome, second just pissed me off...

also agree the katamari games are awesome. such a unique, simple idea.

last tangent for now - i've hung onto my PS2 for one reason: shadow of the colossus. one of the most incredible games ever.
though i also do still have an N64 for goldeneye and my good ol' NES for solar jetman, spelunker, super mario 3, contra & MIDINES!
space6oy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Officer Bukowski » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:27 pm

CBA wrote:I'm planning on buying a PS3, as I'm redoing my audio/video setup to be a bit simpler. I've only ever owned Nintendo systems, so this will be a fun new experience.

List of games I'm going to get:

-Bioshock 1, 2 & 3 (eventually)
-Red Dead Redemption
-all the Uncharteds
-Resident Evil 5 & 6
-Shadow Of The Colossus HD
-GTA V (eventually)

I forget what else.

What else?

C

Get Little Big Planet and we can jump around online n stuff
I make pedals. SHARK TANK
Officer Bukowski

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ryan » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:31 pm

SoTC is amazingly cool for sure!

Anybody like the old Sierra On-Line games from the late 80s/early 90s? Space Quest, King's Quest, Police Quest, and my personal favourite, Hero's Quest, later changed to Quest For Glory. I love the first couple games from every series, when they still have the type-in interface... I think that was magical time for gaming.

Lots of those early Sierra games were made by a husband and wife team in their home in California.. they'd even package and deliver the games themselves... she'd come up with the game idea and he'd do the code... totally awesome.
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby space6oy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:32 pm

i vaguely remember playing king's quest once upon a time... i surprisingly didn't get too into video games until a college bud introduced me to morrowind. :love:
space6oy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Lemyisgod » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:14 pm

Ryan I used to be really big into Adventure games. Loved all the Lucas Arts games like Monkey Island. Def played all the Space and Kings Quests. The guys from Lucas Arts started up a new company and did a kickstarter to make a new Adventure game in the style of the older ones.
Lemyisgod

involved
involved

Next

Return to Dr. Scientist