The Elements, favorite settings, post them here!

Moderator: Ryan

Re: The Elements, favorite settings, post them here!

Postby Loztboy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:09 am

My Signalchain is Fender Jazzmaster > Elements > amp(59 bassman LTD), I power it with a PedalPower+ 9v without daisychaining.
It does not matter much if the volume is turned down on the jazzmaster
I can try to do a video of it soon.

I don't mean to complain, just asking. I love you work!
Loztboy

interested
interested

Postby Ryan » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:47 pm

Well sir, you do have a recipe for a noisy rig there.. my JM is by far my noisiest guitar but with any single coil you're going to be amplifying the heck out of that noise in high gain mode.

Is the noise lessened in the middle pickup position? Have you tried different outlets on your PP? Maybe you're on a 12V one or a starved one or maybe you have a bad one, that could make for noise. Do you have your Elements volume set a lot higher than unity? That could bring up the noise floor a lot.. is your amp running clean or dirty? A distortion pedal into a dirty amp = background noise. Could be a bad cable too.. if you wiggle or touch the cables does the noise change? If you can do a video that would help for sure!

I don't think you're complaining and I'm sorry, your questions just kinda rubbed me wrong at bedtime. *apologies*
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Loztboy » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:45 am

The noise is not lessened noticeably in middle position, not even with the volume all the way down on the guitar.
The 59' Bassman does only have one channel (clean) :)
I have testet with different cables and amps (Fender SuperChamp XD clean channel)
I will try different outlets on my PP2+
Last edited by Loztboy on Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loztboy

interested
interested

Postby Loztboy » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:38 am

I did some testing. as I stated the hum/noise is still there when the volume on the guitar is rolled all the way off.
I tried to run a wire from sleeve on input to the enclosure and the hum was gone.
Since the jacks are plastic there are no contact between the jacks and enclosure.
This seems like a grounding problem right? I'm just an amature, so I might be really wrong.
I also checked with a multimeter, there are no connection between jack-in sleeve and the enclosure, same goes for the Tremolessence, The mini RRR I got is grounded.
Loztboy

interested
interested

Postby Ryan » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:36 am

Right on, nice find! The pcb mounted jacks go to circuit ground but there's no place to connect them to the enclosure so the enclosure is floating on the Trem and Elements (and lots of pedals). For normally grounded systems it doesn't matter and you don't/won't hear a difference. I suspect you have a faulty ground in your guitar or amp and too double check, I tested an Elements just now with a few guitars.. it made no difference on my normal quiet guitars but it did make a difference on my super noisy Jazzmaster that I know isn't grounded well.

I'd have the enclosure grounded too but I don't have a good way to do it.. you can't solder to aluminum... maybe I'll start soldering a chassis ground wire to a pot body...
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Loztboy » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:32 am

I did a little quick and dirty grounding "mod", on my trem and Elements, and now they are as quiet as it is in outer space :)
I may have voided my warranty tho :(, here's a photo of the little "mod"
It looks cruel but it works for me :)

And finality back to topic...
Here is my favourite low/mid gain setting. Very dynamic!
Loztboy

interested
interested

Postby Ryan » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:37 am

Really nice! That's what I was trying to think of, some way to get ground easily from the jack to the enclosure, great solution. Your lifetime warranty is safe and sound, no worries. I'm glad you did what you did! (I think I'm gonna steal that idea too, it's cleverer than my plan to ground from a pot)

I'll start grounding the enclosure on all my pcb jack pedals and I thank you for the detective work!
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Loztboy » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:45 am

Thanks!
Loztboy

interested
interested

Postby Ryan » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:01 pm

New fave setting, kind of a broken speaker/amp pushed too hard sound..

gain 70% to 100%, volume wherever you like, mix 100%

gain toggle up, clip toggle middle, bass toggle up, mid toggle middle

bass 80% to 100%, midrange 70%, treble 50%
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Nikkiwebstershooters » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:27 pm

A question here for Ryan, or any other Elements users... When an expression pedal is plugged in does it make the Mix control redundant, or is the expression sweep between 0 and the setting on the Mix control?

Also, do we know all the expression pedals that are capable with the Elements? I have a Mission Engineering SP-2, which i've read doesn't work with the Elements.

Cheers!
Nikkiwebstershooters

interested
interested

Postby Ryan » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:45 am

The expression pedal totally takes over for the mix knob.. it becomes the new mix knob and the old mix knob becomes just a knob that doesn't do anything.

The Elements needs an expression pedal with about 50k Ohms resisastance although higher is fine too and the cable needs to be a TRS 3 connection style. There's lots of pedals that work great but if your Mission one is the dual output style mentioned elsewhere in this forum or thread then it seems to not work.. I think it either grounds or shorts something that doesn't fly with the Elements. I've got about 6 TRS exp pedals here and they all work fine though. I like the Moog EP-2 the best I'd say.
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Golguth » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:00 am

Hello there,

I wish to say thanks to the contributors of this tread and of course to Ryan for this great pedal (did receive it this week).
Amazing versatility, because of this you finaly wish you could save some presets into it !!! Love it !
I was affraid at first because my VOXH1TV doesn't like every kind of distortion but he's completly in love with the Elements (the low/mid gain suggestions here are really beautiful).

Thanks again.
Gauthier
Belgium
Golguth

interested
interested

Postby sylnau » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:36 pm

^ Thanks and welcome to ILF :thumb:
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Golguth » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:35 pm

Loztboy wrote:I did a little quick and dirty grounding "mod", on my trem and Elements, and now they are as quiet as it is in outer space :)
I may have voided my warranty tho :(, here's a photo of the little "mod"
It looks cruel but it works for me :)

I'll try it, thanks for the tip
(I also have a jazzmaster :lol:)
Golguth

interested
interested

Postby Ryan » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:40 pm

Thanks Gauthier, that makes my day!
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Dr. Scientist