The WhAt?

Moderator: doug deeper

The WhAt?

Postby magnus02 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:01 pm

Hey new to the forum here but had a question for doug about the what? and figured this would be a good place to ask. I bought one used a month or so ago and am just trying to get the most out of it. Supposedly its a one off. Its housed in a pepto bismal pink wah shell and has the knobs on the side. Not sure what any of the knobs really do and which one the wah rocker controls. Any help? Very bizarre sounds to be had but most fairly similar. Choppy tremolo sounds and high pitched squeals and strange fuzz/distortion.

Basically just wondering what these knobs are actually doing, any advice on settings, and any info on this pedal. Thanks and keep up the great work. I LOVE my pitch pirate and clari(not) and will never ever sell them for anything. Can't wait to see any new designs that might be in the works! ;)
magnus02

committed
committed

Re: The WhAt?

Postby doug deeper » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:42 pm

heres the lowdown on the what?
3 of the knob control the oscillator in various ways, these are modulated with the input signal and do strange things.
there is also a knob that blends in weird jumpy sub octave stuff and a volume, on your unit (which was a custom job for the bass player of 108) one of the oscillator knobs was replaced with the wah treadle.
the guy who bought this originally just plugged a cable into the input and laid it on the ground and made weird humming noises.
Magick "i" Envelope Controlled Overdrive out now!
<(o)> <(o)> <(o)> <(o)> <(o)> <(o)> <(o)> <(o)>
doug deeper

committed
committed

Re: The WhAt?

Postby magnus02 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:14 pm

Hey thanks so much for the response doug!!!

I'm having fun with this just trying to get my head around it but that helps. Its really crazy for sure, just trying to figure out how to keep it musical, but I think that's definitely possible.

Very much looking forward to future designs. I almost grabbed the prototype of the glitch computer that has a pitch selector and wish I had... any word on working the kinks out on that one and releasing it? That'd be :)
magnus02

committed
committed

Return to mid-fi electronics