Sonic Shroom - troubleshooting?



Moderator: Tom Dalton

Sonic Shroom - troubleshooting?

Postby DhanoSuzuki » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:12 pm

Hey guys. My Shroom arrived this morning (delivered in the mailbox at 7.30 am with no other mail, do you guys have like ninjas working for you at the USPS or something?) Haven't had too much of a chance to play around with it, but it does seems quite cool.

First thing I noticed though is a lot of noise. Like if guitar hum and a laser blaster mated. It isn't SO bad until you turn the fuzz aallll the way up, then the noise just goes into hypermode. Might actually sound kinda cool if I was working on a noise project.

So I was just wondering 1. Any simple things I can look for if I open up, to maybe diagnose the problem? I currently do not have a soldering iron, and I'm not very knowledgeable on such things anyway, so I wont be attempting any repairs myself.
And 2. I ordered the pedal from PGS. Am I able to send the pedal in for repairs if need be, or is that only for people who order direct from fuzzhugger?

If that's just the way the pedal is, that's fine. I've had noisy pedals before and still loved some of them. I just want to be sure that I have a fully functional Shroom.
DhanoSuzuki

User avatar
involved
involved
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:01 pm

Re: Sonic Shroom - troubleshooting?

Postby Tom Dalton » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:39 pm

DhanoSuzuki wrote:Like if guitar hum and a laser blaster mated.

I might have to use that in the Sonic Shroom's description! :lol:

The Sonic Shroom employs massive amounts of gain (and feedback). Think of the Fuzz knob like a huge fuzzy boost...the higher it goes, the more you're slamming the Sonic Shroom with gain.
It may be noisier with some guitars/cables/pickups, but I'm not sure there's anything wrong with yours. Rather than fix control/gain parameters within limited ranges, I tend to let them go "too far" for some, so it's there for people who want it. It's an extreme pedal, and if I limited the gain, it wouldn't do some of the (I think, cool) things it does. If it's not for you, PGS offers a full refund. :thumb:
Tom Dalton

User avatar
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 5960
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 2:05 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Sonic Shroom - troubleshooting?

Postby DhanoSuzuki » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:03 pm

Hey thanks for the quick reply. Don't get me wrong, noise isn't a huge issue to me. One seller on Reverb mentioned that the gating stops all noise from coming through no matter what the fuzz level, so I just want to make sure that everything is working the way its supposed to. Honestly, even the heaviest gated fuzzes I've used still make some noise when cranked all the way up, so that guys comment was probably a bit of hyperbole. If it doesn't sound out of the ordinary to you, that's fine by me.

Just a couple extra details to make sure everything is on the up-and-up: the hum kind of....I don't know, fluctuates? Almost sounds as if the power or the signal fluctuating, if that makes any sense. My Fox Calc kinda does the same thing, though, so that is probably just normal.

Last thing that I noticed: After playing a note, it seems as if the gating kicks in real hard - like all sound goes away for a moment - and then the volume and noise comes back in and there's kind of, hrrmm, a popping sort of noise? Like, kind of a high pitched beepy pop? Yeah I know, I'm awful at explaining sounds. But single notes or chords seemed to be accompanied by this popping at the end. I could kind of dial it out with the "trip" knob. The issue seemed worse the further the trip knob was turned to the left, and it seemed to be at its best in the middle-slightly to the right.

I don't know, I literally just started playing around with it, so the issue might just be that I need to learn how the pedal behaves and interacts with my guitar and amp, and I didn't notice that particular issue that other times I played, so who knows. I'm definitely not interested in returning it, as the sounds in this thing are so great, and all these issues disappear in oscillation mode. Also, the visuals are out of control. I'd probably keep it just to mount on the wall if it didn't work. Also, judging from the sticker on the inside of it, you made this thing on my birthday (11/15) so that's gotta be some kind of sign that I need to keep it.

One last "one last thing": The input jack has two white wires connected to it, and the output jack only has one wire connected to it. Normal?

Again, thanks. I hate to distract you with stuff like this, as I'm sure you're particularly busy this time of year, so I appreciate you taking the time to reply.
DhanoSuzuki

User avatar
involved
involved
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:01 pm

Re: Sonic Shroom - troubleshooting?

Postby Scruffie » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:07 pm

What power supply are you using?
Scruffie

User avatar
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 4205
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:46 pm
Location: London.. ish, Uk

Re: Sonic Shroom - troubleshooting?

Postby DhanoSuzuki » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:29 pm

I'm using a 9v adapter that came with some EHX pedal. Been waiting for the local shop to get a new power source + daisy chain in, so all I have right now are the individual adapters. I have a couple more that I could try though.
DhanoSuzuki

User avatar
involved
involved
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:01 pm

Re: Sonic Shroom - troubleshooting?

Postby Scruffie » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:48 pm

Some of those EHX supplies aren't too well regulated (as they're designed to work in tandem with the pedals internal regulation) so it could be that which would explain the 'modulated' noise sound.

The output jack having only one wire is normal, the other jack is grounded to the enclosure.

Also, are you running anything prior to it or using active pickups? As with most fuzzes it's probably best first in your chain.

Actual operation, someone else will have to comment as I haven't played one.
Scruffie

User avatar
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 4205
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:46 pm
Location: London.. ish, Uk

Re: Sonic Shroom - troubleshooting?

Postby DhanoSuzuki » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:56 pm

Well, I know I posted this a while ago, but here is my update.

I've tried multiple power sources, cords, and guitars, both humbucker and single coil, also different amps. I took it to the shop last weekend and tried it out with a bunch of different gear, and it always makes the noise, and I would definitely say this is not a noise it probably should be making. Haven't heard anything similar to this noise in any AB-Synth demo I've watched, nor in any functional pedal. Guys at the shop agreed that its not a sound they think a pedal should be making, even a noisy pedal (though, they did think the pedal was extremely cool - how could they not?) I made sure to gush about you guys so they wouldn't get a bad opinion of you guys based on this one issue, but most of them actually seemed to be somewhat aware of Fuzzhugger and their sterling reputation. Anyway, I digress...

Here is the thing. The noise goes away when I turn the tone knob on the guitar all the way down. It pretty much completely disappears, on every guitar I've played it with, so I've made due that way.

With the odd noise minimalized, its such a fantastic pedal. Just, amazing. You know how cool it looks with those insane graphics? Well it sounds even cooler. The straight fuzz tone is great, "light sabery" is a good description indeed. Super saturated, but not muffled, and still maintains impressive note clarity.

But the oscillation mode just pushes it way over the top. Definitely the best oscillating fuzz I have (I'm working with a Wolf Comp and an Antichthon on the oscillatey side of things). The synth bass trick is just ridiculous, really easy to dial in, and stable (or not stable and arppeggiatey if you'd prefer to dial that in instead). Such a creative pedal. Running the Shroom in osc mode through a Wolf C and a Soda Meiser makes a crazy monster noise. And running the straight Shroom fuzz into my EHX Octavix fuzz makes one of the best octave up fuzz tone I've ever played with.

Anyway, I'm sure you all already know this, I just figured I'd explain why I havent really bothered to see if I could get this problem fixed: because I'm having too much fun with it, and I don't want to go without my new cool toy.

With that said, it was a brand new pedal with an odd issue right out of the box. Would getting this worked on be an option? I really do not want to waste Tom's time and possibly look like an idiot, so I wouldn't want to send it in if I wasn't pretty sure that there was an actual issue with it, and I am pretty convinced that this pedal has an issue. But still, should I just go ahead and get the guys at my local shop to take a look at it? I know that would void any possible warranty that it might have (though I am somewhat unclear whether this pedal has a warranty or not).

For anyone taking the time to read all of this and reply, thanks.
DhanoSuzuki

User avatar
involved
involved
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:01 pm

Re: Sonic Shroom - troubleshooting?

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:10 pm

DhanoSuzuki wrote:
Here is the thing. The noise goes away when I turn the tone knob on the guitar all the way down. It pretty much completely disappears, on every guitar I've played it with, so I've made due that way.



I play with my tone knob rolled all the way off most of the time anyway. :lol:

Yeah, honestly, I'd just send it back to Tom. :idk:
There is a light emitting diode that never goes out. …………….0.............Sweet dealin's: here
"… and they have to tell Ornette that he cannot play the trumpet and violin." - Miles

"Well, I'm not a fan of reverb on guitar, but I like to create space using a lot of delays." - Robin Guthrie
"The effects market was really nothing more than a bunch of beggars and theives, all building off one another's work." - Dan Armstrong…...........................…
Chankgeez

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 26953
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:40 am

Re: Sonic Shroom - troubleshooting?

Postby DhanoSuzuki » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:53 pm

Chankgeez wrote:I play with my tone knob rolled all the way off most of the time anyway. :lol:

Same, actually, at least when using fuzz. One reason why I haven't been too distraught over the issue.
DhanoSuzuki

User avatar
involved
involved
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:01 pm

Re: Sonic Shroom - troubleshooting?

Postby ThorZ » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:49 am

Tom fixed my Algal V2 for me pretty quickly and im based in the UK although i had to cover postage :-(
Image
ThorZ

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:19 am
Location: London UK

Re: Sonic Shroom - troubleshooting?

Postby Tom Dalton » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:59 pm

Tom Dalton wrote:
DhanoSuzuki wrote:Like if guitar hum and a laser blaster mated.

I might have to use that in the Sonic Shroom's description! :lol:

The Sonic Shroom employs massive amounts of gain (and feedback). Think of the Fuzz knob like a huge fuzzy boost...the higher it goes, the more you're slamming the Sonic Shroom with gain.
It may be noisier with some guitars/cables/pickups, but I'm not sure there's anything wrong with yours. Rather than fix control/gain parameters within limited ranges, I tend to let them go "too far" for some, so it's there for people who want it. It's an extreme pedal, and if I limited the gain, it wouldn't do some of the (I think, cool) things it does. If it's not for you, PGS offers a full refund. :thumb:

Sorry I haven't added more to this thread, but I'm still pretty sure that ^ covers it.

Of course, I'd be happy to take a look your Sonic Shroom if you'd like. Even if everything's normal, I could take some extra steps...namely moving and shielding a couple key wires, which could result in a 0-10% improvement in noise levels. (Though there are other things I can do to make it work for you, like a toggle to limit max gain or a toggle to effectively do what you're doing with your guitar's Tone knob).

ThorZ wrote:Tom fixed my Algal V2 for me pretty quickly and im based in the UK although i had to cover postage :-(

If you were the original owner and/or your Algal Bloom was less than a year old, email me so I can refund your postage.
Tom Dalton

User avatar
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 5960
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 2:05 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Sonic Shroom - troubleshooting?

Postby DhanoSuzuki » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:15 pm

Tom Dalton wrote:
Tom Dalton wrote:
DhanoSuzuki wrote:Like if guitar hum and a laser blaster mated.

I might have to use that in the Sonic Shroom's description! :lol:

The Sonic Shroom employs massive amounts of gain (and feedback). Think of the Fuzz knob like a huge fuzzy boost...the higher it goes, the more you're slamming the Sonic Shroom with gain.
It may be noisier with some guitars/cables/pickups, but I'm not sure there's anything wrong with yours. Rather than fix control/gain parameters within limited ranges, I tend to let them go "too far" for some, so it's there for people who want it. It's an extreme pedal, and if I limited the gain, it wouldn't do some of the (I think, cool) things it does. If it's not for you, PGS offers a full refund. :thumb:

Sorry I haven't added more to this thread, but I'm still pretty sure that ^ covers it.

Of course, I'd be happy to take a look your Sonic Shroom if you'd like. Even if everything's normal, I could take some extra steps...namely moving and shielding a couple key wires, which could result in a 0-10% improvement in noise levels. (Though there are other things I can do to make it work for you, like a toggle to limit max gain or a toggle to effectively do what you're doing with your guitar's Tone knob).


Thanks Tom, I appreciate the reply, you seem very dedicated to your work and customers.

Honestly, my main concern is whether or not there is something wrong, and if that is affecting the functionality in some way. The noise, I can deal with (though the tone toggle sounds like the perfect fix).

From what you are saying, it doesn't seem like something I should be concerned with, so all is cool in my eyes.

Like I said, that tone toggle sounds like a good mod, but honestly, if I am going to have you do some work, I think I would rather custom order something from you. I am gassing seriously hard for some rather unique things you have made in the past, as well as some of the more recent custom builds.

But yeah, having you do a custom order for me is one of my 2016 goals. Would emailing you be the best way to get some more information about this?
DhanoSuzuki

User avatar
involved
involved
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:01 pm

Re: Sonic Shroom - troubleshooting?

Postby Psyre » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:02 pm

Chiming in a little late, but why not make a video or audio clip? Anytime one uses words to describe sound instead of sound to describe sound there is a big chance of description differences. I've had a few times where my description of a pedal problem fit the makers description of proper functioning. After sending a quick clip it became instantly apparent to the makers if there is a problem or not.
Psyre

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2461
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:10 am
Location: South East Michigan

Re: Sonic Shroom - troubleshooting?

Postby CyaNitrate » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:06 pm

DhanoSuzuki wrote:But yeah, having you do a custom order for me is one of my 2016 goals. Would emailing you be the best way to get some more information about this?


Tom is the best to work with. I've had two really great interactions with him.

I had a Phantom Arcade with a dead LED, and he covered postage both ways and had it fixed very quickly.

And second, I ordered a custom Dual Bloom, an Algal v2 and Doom in one box. I emailed him, we went back and forth hashing out details, and now I have an amazing one off. Mine probably took slightly longer because it was during the holidays, but he's still super fast, and everything is built by him.

So, if you have an idea, shoot him and email, and you'll likely get the fuzz of your dreams.
jwar wrote:BRO! There is only one order! Bass>fuzz>fuzz>fuzz>fuzz>overdriven amp. :)

goroth wrote:Come up here and fuzz party. Yes. Fuzz party. It is a legit verb.
CyaNitrate

User avatar
experienced
experienced
 
Posts: 826
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:24 pm
Location: The Desert


Return to FuzzHugger Effects



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


Sponsored Ad. (Please no inflated/repetitive clicking. Thanks!)

Advertisements help support ILF


ilovefuzz.com is not responsible for user-submitted content. Users participate at their own discretion and risk.