Just bought a FH Algal Bloom

Moderator: FuzzHugger

Re: Just bought a FH Algal Bloom

Postby Gunner Recall » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:03 am

I picked one up around the holidays, I set mine up to sorta mimic the thick sound of my scod but with a tad of fuzzy sputter on the end. This is impressive considering the AB is a fuzz and it retains much of the clarity of the scod.

Sounds even better in the loop of a cranked hugger :rock:

Honestly haven't played with the full range of the pedal much...I sorta found "my" setting and haven't touched the knobs since.

Now that my pedal buying spree is cooling down I'll have to play with it some more.
There are some that call me...morningstaru?
Gunner Recall

Postby laxlover_bill369 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:26 am

I'm planning to get both AB and 1134. Best Fuzz I have heard since first hearing Devi's stuff.
Traded with: htsamurai, PumpkinPieces, WeHuntKings, themeanreds, kjs
Remember mail fraud is a felony
laxlover_bill369

committed
committed

Postby Gunner Recall » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:56 pm

I dig the new graphics he did for the 1134.

Those custom algal blooms are also :love:
Gunner Recall

Postby hazelwould » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:24 pm

Let's us know what you think! From the demo... It ALMOST reminds me of the fingerprint sounds. At least some of the sounds. Maybe it's just the clarity that I'm hearing that's similar? But I'd like to know how this sounds. I'm wanting to achieve the low gain fuzzy tone on the song "city girl" by kevin shields. And from what I gather the fingerprint can do this... And then I can press the max gain button for my "wall of sound". And it sounds like the low fuzz can do the same... And maybe if I slam it with a good OD or boost I can really fuzz it out.
hazelwould

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dronemachine » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:31 pm

I'm wanting to achieve the low gain fuzzy tone on the song "city girl" by kevin shields.

That was jag or jazzmaster into cranked vox,or something similar.I think.No pedals.
dronemachine

committed
committed

Postby Caesar » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:54 pm

I got an AB. I really like it. It's not a crazy loud monster. It's a bit overdrive and a bit fuzz. I like being able to shape the fuzz with both the starve and the gain.

It's a good, all-around, standard fuzz.
A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, God said, "Let there be Lips!" And there were, and they were good, and the lips said...

http://soundcloud.com/gaiusrex
Caesar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby dorfmeister » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:27 am

Who can compare it to a fingerprint or a white spider? Who?
dorfmeister

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Gunner Recall » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:25 am

I own an AB and want a spider/fingerprint...does that count? :poke:
Gunner Recall

Postby dronemachine » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:42 am

i need no more

Wanna bet? :haha:

Just kiddin',glad you like it & thanks for the report. :hello:
dronemachine

committed
committed

Postby Gunner Recall » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:31 pm

Good to hear you dig it newark. Spread the fuzzhugger love :thumb:

Mine has been my go to dirt sound since it came in...i'd agree with it having one main sound (albeit a great HUGE sound) that can be tailored a number of ways.
Haven't tried it with single coils yet...my strat needs some work :facepalm: gives me an excuse to get working on it I guess.

I love your fuzz selection...I have a shoegazer coming in next week, and I plan on a fingerprint+bit soon.
Mayo might prove to be more difficult considering the avg asking price...I already get dirty looks whenever I buy a pedal. Moar fuzz > engagement ring.
Gunner Recall

Postby ifeellikeatourist » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:57 pm

anyone have an 1134 yet?
goroth wrote:Most builders are content on reproducing the same crap. Which is fine. Most guitarists want the same crap.
ifeellikeatourist

experienced
experienced

Postby Gunner Recall » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:50 pm

do'h...looks like they make mxr sized algal blooms/1134's now. Not as purdy but saving space is always a +

I dig the new 1134 graphics...i'm gunna give it a shot soon, but I wanted to spread my fuzz love around a bit considering I bought an AG and a hugger within weeks of eachother. Still so many devi pedals I need :haha:
Gunner Recall

Postby hazelwould » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:27 am

NewarkWilder wrote:Ok, I got it, and its f'ing unbelievable. Seriously.

Not really like the spider or any devi fuzz. It IS akin to the Fingerprint but is much woolier. It sounds absolutely ENORMOUS with the gain cranked and the trim and starve off so you get the full on bloom. you can use those controls to tweak it, which is nice, but the trim knob basically works the same way as your volume knob if you run it close to your guitar in the chain. actually maybe it still does later in the chain i just didn't try it that way. The 'print's texture knob brings much more drastic changes to the sound than the algal's starve does. But seriously, once you've heard the Algal on full bloom I'm not even sure why you'd want to change a thing. :love:

Fully cranked, its bigger than the Fingerprint, but the Fingerprint is still more dynamic/touch sensitive and has a wider variety of sounds in its controls--the algal is one main sound, just with lots of different ways to tame it. but that sound is GORGEOUS. I mean it too, w/ buckers it can get pretty brutal but w/ my strat & jazzy its just beautiful rich harmonic fuzz heaven. seriously.

The 'print, algal, shoe gazer, bit, and mayo will now be my palette of fuzz. i need no more. i am happy :rock:

speaking of the mayo, though, it reminds me that the algal really does have the creamy bloom of a triangle style muff but without being a muff at all.

*still blown away*

DEMO VID TOMORROW!!! (yeah, tomorrow being friday, i've been awake all night like usual) I'll throw in some a/b's with the 'print and some other fuzzes too but it'll focus mostly on the algal. :thumb:

Dude!! DEMO!! That'd be rad.... I'm really interested in this pedal. As well as the FP. As well as how you use the SG, and Mayo. I've gotta admit that I have green eyes and a lustful heart for your board. :love: So how does the AB do ok the low gain settings? I'm not a huge fan of the crazier side of the FP just it's basic distorion tones. And it's bell/ringing like sounds. Can AB get there?

BTW Matt is working on a high gain variation of the FP, he said it'll be really high gain, no chord clarity, and more inexpensive. :) I'm there except the chord clarity is what attracts me to the FP in re first place.
hazelwould

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ghost Hip » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:50 am

NewarkWilder wrote:
The 'print, algal, shoe gazer, bit, and mayo will now be my palette of fuzz. i need no more. i am happy :rock:

i call bullshit. :p :hug:
Youtube Channel?

mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

friendship wrote:y u h8 swoosh woosh
Ghost Hip

Postby ohsojayadeva » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:35 am

:omg:
ohsojayadeva

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Next

Return to FuzzHugger Effects