Great Destroyer Sensitivity

Moderators: aens_wife, aen

Great Destroyer Sensitivity

Postby Moustache_Bash » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:49 am

Is it hard to dial in? Like, has anyone found it's hard to get the same sound twice? Sorry, if I'm not making sense...
Moustache_Bash

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Great Destroyer Sensitivity

Postby oldangelmidnight » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:33 pm

Yes.
It's hard to get the same sound once.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MaggotBrainNY » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:02 pm

Depends... if the Starve control is not dimed, then yes, it's basically impossible in my experience. I dig that about it though.... the unpredictability. With the Starve dimed, I find the setting that I use for a couple parts on stage to be consistent.

It's interesting though, because literally every element in the chain, conditions, order of effects, guitar, amp, etc... it all has a pretty profound effect on what it does. There's some voodoo happening in there.
MaggotBrainNY

committed
committed

Postby fluffytunapouch » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:50 am

MaggotBrainNY wrote:Depends... if the Starve control is not dimed, then yes, it's basically impossible in my experience. I dig that about it though.... the unpredictability. With the Starve dimed, I find the setting that I use for a couple parts on stage to be consistent.

It's interesting though, because literally every element in the chain, conditions, order of effects, guitar, amp, etc... it all has a pretty profound effect on what it does. There's some voodoo happening in there.

Totally true. I've been using this pedal for three years, and you can replicate tones and sounds. Some things you cant replicate, each dial depends on the other, especially the starve. But if ANYTHING changes in your set up, the sound will change. I've definitely had a few sounds that are lost in the past, that I cannot get to happen again.

I love this pedal's versatility.
fluffytunapouch

committed
committed

Postby Bassus Sanguinis » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:06 am

Take pictures with Your cell phone when You dial in gold. I've found the interactive knobs may need all a little adjustment if one crucial knob is not quite there, so it's more the combination of the knob settings interacting, than simply dialing the knobs to certain positions. :erm: :thumb:

And sometimes it's next to impossible to get exactly the same sounds You did yesterday when recording the demo track for the song You should be now recording so...

It's Maybe it's just better to acknowledge it's not a safe pedal in that sense. It's the Great Destroyer. Dial in something else, the pedal is filled with rad wrath. :animal: :animal: :animal:
:::: Metal up Yƶur Jazz! with FUZZIFERblack psychedelic doom ::::
Ugly Nora wrote:It's a sad day when Bassus Sanguinis becomes the voice of reason. :lol:
Bassus Sanguinis

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Pugie » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:28 am

It's really sensitive to buffers, or the placement of them if you will. So if you change things up in your chain, like someone already said, it will have a big impact of sound of the destroyer. I found that i liked it the most with a buffer before it (had a boss TU-3).

And regarding the knobs, yes it's kinda hard to dial in the same sound twice, it really demands preciseness. But it's not impossible or anything. Just sound check it before playing if it's at a gig.
My band: flundra.bandcamp.com
Pugie

involved
involved

Postby Derelict78 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:02 pm

Put it first in the chain
aen wrote:Or I'll just use fuzz. Then Ill sound cool regardless.

Achtane wrote:Well, volcanoes are pretty fuckin' cool. Like I guess lava flows are doomy. Slow and still able to to melt your eardrums.
Derelict78

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby bigchiefbc » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:10 pm

I find that I can usually get it pretty close to the same fuzz sound every time. But the oscillation/screeching/motorboating thing seems to be different every time. And I love that, because that's the part of it that I want to be unpredictable and crazy.
Buy my gear! viewtopic.php?f=44&t=58763

Achtane wrote:I can hit it with a Blowing Up and it'll just sound awesome instead of like capacitors farting into each others' dicks.

Achtane wrote:
last.fm wrote:Zs makes music that is variously categorized as no-wave, post-jazz, brutal-chamber, brutal-prog, and post minimalist.

srsly?

Fuck you.
bigchiefbc

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby theavondon » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:54 pm

I remember one time it used to do this crazy microphonic feedback tremolo thing. God, that ruled.
theavondon

Supporter
Supporter

Postby MaggotBrainNY » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:54 pm

Sometimes it's actually slightly depressing to me... it's unpredictability. For instance, at our last gig, during "sound check" (i.e. turning my amp on and dialing in my pedals to make sure they're working properly... what the fuck is a sound check? anyhooo), i dialed in a sound that was CLOSE to what I was using at the previous rehearsal to use on a specific part... it was absolutely disgusting and destructive in the raddest way imagineable... never to be repeated. Oh well, I fucking lost it on stage when it happened, so worthwhile. C'est la vie.
MaggotBrainNY

committed
committed

Postby fluffytunapouch » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:33 pm

One of my bands were opening a set with some noise, and I was supposed to get like a wind sound by running TGD into a phaser type effect. Done it tons of times, but once it was my cue to get it going, just a bunch of bleeps. Still sounded cool, got some looks though from the other guys :)
fluffytunapouch

committed
committed

Postby ooop » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:59 pm

I can't remember if I have already posted this, but one time I was recording where my signal coming out of the guitar was immediately split, so that A went direct into the DAW and the B went into my pedal board and into an amp that was mic'ed. What was weird was that whenever I turned on The Great Destroyer, it completely borked up not just my B signal, but also some how jumped up into the splitter vomited out into the A signal, borking up my direct "clean" signal going straight into the DAW. Pretty weird. And awesome.
ooop

committed
committed

Postby DarkAxel » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:06 pm

oldangelmidnight wrote:Yes.
It's hard to get the same sound once.

:lol: i'd say Aen should put these kinds of comments on the website as "user feedback" :lol:

after about three years of not having it, i'm thinking about getting a TGD kit and trying it again... i think I wasn't ready three years ago :snax:
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby oldangelmidnight » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:00 pm

I'm on my 3rd Destroyer...
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to Dwarfcraft Devices